Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplantation Center
- One year survival rate 100%
The center at Srinakarin campus first opened its doors on September 30, 2004. We have trained medical staff and have a full array of modern medical equipment and facilities that meet international standards such as the Positive Pressure Room, which is effective in the prevention of infection. We have sufficient rooms to meet the needs of patients with low immunity and those who are at risk of catching an infection, including patients who receive high doses of chemotherapy.
Bone Marrow Transplantation is a method of treatment which is replacing the abnormal stem cells from a person’s bone marrow with healthy stem cells. These stem cells will grow in the bone marrow of the patient and develop into red blood cells, white blood cells, platelet or other normal tissues. This is a treatment option that can cure patients from diseases such as acute and chronic leukemia, aplastic anemia, some types of cancer of the lymph nodes, and genetic diseases such as thalassemia, which is commonly found among the Thai population.
Types of Transplant
Allogeneic Transplant – stem cells are usually donated from a genetically-matched family member (usually a brother or sister). Genetic matching, called HLA matching, is done from blood samples. Other donors for allogeneic bone marrow transplants may include:
- Haploidentical-related donors – in cases where a matched, related donor is not available, haploidentical-related donor match (mostly father or mother) is when the donor is a parent and the genetic match is at least half identical to the recipient.
- Matched unrelated donor – stem cells donated from a volunteer donor registered on any stem cell registry in the world.
- Specialists provide consultation and treatment to children and adults from the ages of one to 25 years, who are suffering from all types of cancer and various blood diseases such as thalassemia
- This is the most suitable center for the care and treatment of patients who are receiving bone marrow transplantation as the center is equipped with medical staff and modern medical equipments and facilities that meet international standards, such as the Positive Pressure Room which is effective in the prevention of infection
- Provides follow-up treatment after bone marrow transplantation in the Isolation Area
- Patients are able to use the services of the center without being hospitalized if they are receiving chemotherapy treatment by specialists and nurses. Patients are also able to discuss treatment plans with pediatric hematologists and oncologists
- Able to receive blood transfusion, iron chelation and receive follow-up treatments from hematologists
- Provide treatment and consultation for all types of cancer by oncologists and medical specialists
- Provide consultation and assistance in the identification of Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) matching for bone marrow transplantation
- Private rooms on ninth floor at Samitivej Srinakarin hospital, all of which have HEPA filters with positive pressure.
- Bone-marrow harvesting facilities are provided in the operating room at Samitivej Srinakarin hospital.
- OPD clinic is available on the ninth floor for adults and children.
- Separate family conference and consultation rooms on the ninth floor.