Developing Special Needs Children
With our multidisciplinary team of pediatric specialists, Samitivej Children’s Hospital is trusted by many parents to provide accurate and helpful advice about the health of their newborns and children.
In addition to providing a full range of standard pediatric services, we understand that children with special needs require a different level of care and treatment. In order to fill that need, we have established a “Special Needs Child Center” staffed by a specialist team of child and adolescent psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, speech therapists, clinical psychologists and special education teachers. The center provides a wide range of services, including diagnosis, advice and treatment for children with behavioral, emotional and learning problems. The goal of the center is to provide these children with the best possible care by promoting physical as well as their psychological development as early as possible.
- Analysis of problems concerning developmental, behavioral, emotional and learning issues in children in order to determine the most appropriate care and treatment
- Parent and caregiver training programs emphasizing child development
- Therapeutic nursery program including developmental training and behavioral therapy to prepare children with special needs for study in a regular classroom
- Individual or group therapy, as deemed appropriate for:
- Speech therapy
- Developmental promotion and behavioral therapy
- Learning through the use of special education teaching methods
- Music therapy for social rehabilitation, communication and imagination
- Neurofeedback using a Hemoencephalogram machine (HEG) in therapy (Additional Treatment)
- Bio-feedback using Biocomp and Alpha Chamber for reduction of stress and psychophysiologic disorder
- Play therapy
- Art therapy for children with behavioral and emotional issues
- Occupational therapy for children with special needs
- Parental training programs for children with autism and behavioral issues
- Social skills training for children with special needs
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy and symptomatic treatment with appropriate medication
- Symptomatic treatment with appropriate medication
Our Facilities, Medical Technologies and Clinical Testing
- Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA)
- Psychological tests that assess intellectual ability, academic potential, and mental and emotional functioning
- Assessment and stimulation of cerebral blood flow through Neurofeedback (Neurofeedback using a Hemoencephalogram machine)
- Assessment of physical change and stress relief through Neurofeedback and Alpha Chamber
- Snoezelen room or controlled multisensory environment (MSE). This room is designed to deliver stimuli to various senses, using lighting effects, color, sounds, music and scents, depending on the specific developmental disabilities of each patient, such as hearing, seeing, feeling and other senses.
Services are provided by a team of child psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, clinical psychologists, art therapists, music therapists and special education teachers who have many years of experience in their specialized field.