- The use of lubricating substances and being careful during intercourse can help reduce any pain felt by a woman suffering from vaginal dryness.
- The issue of premature ejaculation can be eased by taking a break during intercourse when the penis becomes a little softer, or when there is a period of intense sexual desire. This will help to slow the male orgasm and increase the sexual pleasure derived by the female.
- Be wary of unapproved products claiming to offer increased sexual capabilities. If you have any questions or issues relating to sex, it is best to consult your doctor.
Many people believe that sex is not something for the elderly. However, sexuality is a normal part of humanity, no matter a person’s age. Moreover, sexual intercourse during older age can help increase our quality of life at the same time as reducing the risk of certain types of illness. Maintaining a good relationship that includes regular sex can be beneficial right up until the age of 80 or even 90 years old.
Issues associated with sex during old age
- Both males and females experience a reduction in sexual hormones from the age of 45 onwards, and this can lead to a decrease in sexual desire, both physically and mentally. However, for healthy people who exercise regularly, who indulge in stress relieving activities and get plenty of rest, sexual desire of a level similar to that of their youth can be maintained.
- As men get older, they tend to experience a reduction in penis size and find it difficult to maintain an erection. Some may also suffer from premature ejaculation or have difficulty managing their orgasm. All of this can result in a lack of sexual activity.
- When women reach old age, their estrogen levels naturally decrease, which can lead to vaginal dryness, causing pain during intercourse and leaving them unwilling to have sex.
- Premature ejaculation occurs when a man reaches the point of climax too quickly. It is not merely a physical issue, as such a condition has the potential to cause stress and anxiety for the sufferer.
- Members of the elderly population who suffer from congenital health disorders may not want to engage in sexual activity, or they may prohibit sexual activity altogether.
- Relationships undergo change as the years pass by and this may be a factor which affects the amount of sex that is happening.
Effective sex techniques for the elderly
- Maintaining a positive attitude towards sexual intercourse. Sex in old age is not something to be ashamed of, nor is it wrong to think about it in any way.
- Understanding between both parties on the topic of sex can ensure enjoyment and longer lives.
- Build on mutual understanding with open conversations about sexual gratification, consulting each other on what does or doesn’t feel good. Do not allow small issues to fester over time and turn into chronic problems.
- Stimulate each other with slow, patient foreplay that focuses on sensitive areas of the body.
- Regular exercise can help increase male strength and endurance.
- Re-arrange the bedroom to ensure low-lighting that will create a new and exciting atmosphere that can offer stimulation to both par
- Where the health and strength of both parties allows, engage in regular sexual activities.
- The use of lubricating gels can provide a smoother sexual experience and reduce pain for women who suffer from vaginal dryness. Moreover, such products can offer stimulation for the male, allowing him to stay fully erect for longer.
- Taking a break if the penis becomes softer, or when about to climax, before beginning again can help with premature ejaculation and increase female sexual gratification.
- Increase variety in the bedroom by trying new positions during sex. This will help build passion. That being said, any sex should be gentle, avoiding sudden movements.
Safety advice for elderly sex
- Sexual positions should not be too ambitious, dangerous or increase the symptoms of any congenital conditions that the elderly may suffer from.
- Post-menopausal women may experience vaginal dryness during intercourse, or they may suffer from vaginal bleeding while having sex. These conditions can lead to reduced sexual desire, so be prepared with lubricating substances and try to ensure that the sex is not too strenuous.
- Herbal remedies with spurious advertisement campaigns should not be used to provide a solution for sex-related problems. If you are experiencing any issues, consult your doctor to undergo a detailed diagnosis to identify the true cause of erectile dysfunction.
- Don’t believe everything you hear about unapproved products that claim to increase energy and boost sexual stimulation. If you have any issues, raise these with your doctor.
- Seek advice from your doctor before engaging in any form of sexual activity after surgery, no matter which part of the body was operated on. Build an understanding of the condition being treated, act accordingly and talk it through with you partner in order to prevent sex-related injuries occurring.
- Those with congenital health conditions should be especially careful when it comes to having sex, while consulting a doctor before engaging in sexual intercourse is also advisable.
The joy of sex is not limited to the young. People who grow older and are in good health, both physically and mentally, will find that their sexual desire hasn’t decreased at all. Furthermore, sex should not be viewed in its simplest form. The intimacy that comes with hugging and showing love to one another is also hugely important if we want to lead happier, healthier and longer lives.
Health Screening Programs for the Elderly